Tuesday, December 06, 2005

TV, Money and Work

TiVo/DVR is one of, if not the, greatest inventions known to man. I get to watch all the West Wing I can stand, and snag all the shows I like while I'm in class. The Office, My Name is Earl, Las Vegas, etc. Haven't missed a Jeopardy! since I got it. It runs during the day here so I've missed it ever since I started working days. Currently, I'm watching the recorded 1864 episode of The Civil War. Probably my favorite historical subject. PBS is rebroadcasting it. Which means it'll be soon time to break out the trilogy of books by Shelby Foote.

I got my rebate check from the state today. $45 whole dollars. A-woo, a-hoo. I'm hoping to get me a good bonus come this payday. I've been told that the firm gives an extra paycheck, so that will help get my Christmas shopping started. But, since I've only been there four months, and seeing how I just got a raise, I'm semi-skeptical about what my amount will be. We'll see. Of course, I'll be grateful for anything, as I know that many people don't get a bonus.

Ah, the new gig. I haven't really talked about it. Name of the firm is Pignato & Cooper. Although, with two new partners coming on January 1, that name might grow. The thing I like most about the firm is the youthfulness of it. There are two people there that are above 40. I'd say the average age of the firm is in its low to mid-thirties. There's no old men stuck in their ways, and everyone is always willing, if not eager, to go grab a beer at quittin' time. One attorney was a senior at OSU when I was a freshman there. It's a small firm, obviously. 6 attorneys, 7 staff. And room to grow. The pace is unlike any other firm I've been at. Its busy all day, everyday. When one attorney is lacking work for me, I can easily go to another assistant and grab some of their work, and vice versa. There hasn't been a day that just dragged on, yet. And its a good busy. You're almost always doing something, but it's not overwhelming; its not stupid and mundane. I work primarily for two attorneys (Cooper being one of them). He's the mild mannered type, but the other one is a guy that likes to get pissed off at the other attorneys. I've gotten the order to bury an opposing attorney in paperwork on more than one occasion, and it puts a smile on my face to do so. Maybe that's my nature as well.

I spent the first month of my job catching up my position from the lackadaisical person that preceded me. Filing. Organization. Now, when you walk by my desk and see it, it looks like the person working there is a) on vacation, or b) fired. But, my policy is that if its on my desk, its not in the file and its not doing the attorney (the moneymakers) any good. Okay, now I'm just rambling.

Now I'm going have Dixie stuck in my head for the next few days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

What exactly is a "partner" of a firm, compared to the other lawyers? They don't work as a team?

Also, when you bury another lawyer in paperwork, does that just mean you bury their paralegals? I suppose that strategically speaking that's equivalent, but I'm just saying.

1:37 AM  
Blogger Patrick said...

A partner, besides getting your name on the wall, is a shareholder of the firm. They get to share in the profits of the firm. The other attorneys are associates, who just get the paycheck.

Essentially, your right. We bury them all.

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home