Monday, October 02, 2006

Praise be to DVR

Wow, it's been a while for a new post. I kinda forget about it unless I'm reminded (thanks sis-in-law).

Well, the past month has brought on a new TV season. With the mid-season shows done (my personal favorite -- It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia), and my TV viewing now so much easier to handle with my handy dandy DVR, I've watched a bunch of shows the past week or two to see what shows I like and the ones that I don't and hope don't turn into a big deal (see Grey's Anatomy) and then I have to get into to it to keep my McKenzie facade of being "in the know" when it comes to anything pop culture. Any shows on Fox are on hiatus until after October due to the MLB playoffs.

That said, here are my good and bad of the fall TV schedule. This doesn't include news staples like 60 minutes or any Dateline. Speaking of Dateline, nothing makes me happier to watch than the "To Catch A Predator" series. I love watching the guys get busted and the few that beg the guy with the really inflected TV voice not to show the footage. Anyway, here goes.

Sundays -- I tried Brothers & Sisters on ABC. Two episdoes were enough for me. Stick with The Simpsons and Family Guy.

Mondays -- Studio 60. Can't go wrong with that show. I like The Class on CBS so far, and have been even more happy with How I Met your Mother that follows it.

Vanished on Fox. I gave that show a try, and the premise is very well thought out, but the exection sucks. While the bad plot "twists" and "all of a sudden we have a solution" work in some series (24, Alias), these don't and I'm going to give it one more night, and then that should be it. No eye candy either.

Tuesday -- Gilmore Girls, Standoff & Smith. Been watching Rori and Lorelai (for Lauren Graham mostly) for quite a number of years. Time's too invested to stop now. :) Standoff with the guy from Office Space and a hot redhead, along with good stories, I like. Along with Smith. Good action and enough acting talent to keep my interest..for now.

Wednesday-- Going to try Friday Night Lights. I really like Kidnapped on NBC. Tried Jericho. Love the idea, but it really does stink. No, I don't watch, or will ever, watch House again. Every week is the hardest case that House has ever faced, and he has to decide whether to kill 20 people to save this patient with some stupid easy fix. I missed the premiere of "The Nine" on ABC, along with Lost starting up this week. I'll give them a try, and after skipping the 2nd season of Lost, might be good to get back into it.

Thursday -- I love The Office, My Name is Earl. Am getting into Grey's Anatomy. Six Degrees and Shark are two new shows that I like...somewhat. May be mid-season deletions if they don't cancel them before then. I'm hearing things about Ugly Betty though. I might have to check that out.

Friday -- Numbers, Law & Order (the original is still the best) and Las Vegas once it gets back going.

Saturday -- That's when I watch all the shows I've recorded, unless I've managed to sneak a few in during the week.

Along with my normal schedule, busy month or two coming up. Going to Dallas next weekend to go to the State Fair down there, and tailgate with a bunch of the OU fans from the office. I got a free ticket to Def Leppard and Journey in OKC on the 19th so I'll head to that. November brings Aerosmith/Motley Crue on the 15th, and leaving directly to Mass. for Thanksgiving.

I'm all about show suggestions. I love to be entertained. Books are for smart people.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Boy said...

Dude, I usually love your House hyperbole, but you are taking it to an extreme... first he kills five babies to save one. Then he kills 10 nuns to save one... now, according to you, he's up to 20. In season one, yes, he sorta-kinda "allowed" ONE baby to die of a disease that they didn't have a cure for so they could save a dozen other babies. It made sense at the time.

Every one of the shows you mention as being among your favorites has a similar requirement of a suspension of disbelief, so stick it. And as for "his hardest case yet"? Um... how about "A Law and Order first" that happens... oh... every freakin' week? House rules, boy-o. 8^)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

we love "How I met your mother", but deplore CBS putting it before the Class. We change the channel for half an hour, then come back for two and a half men (the same mindless jokes about airhead bachelors and divorce and evil mothers never get old, somehow)

-mams

8:34 AM  
Blogger Bridie96 said...

Now that we all know you have DVR we were wondering why you don't blog more. I think we all assumed that it was because you had all of those TV shows to watch and report on. Now that problem's been solved...so what's the deal?

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home